Tuesday, June 7, 2011

On the homefront: counting down the days

Gina's Post:

Scott and I have been busy lately preparing for our Peace Corps adventure.  I'm in Denver this week getting ready for Diana's wedding, although have had a little time to update our blog and sort through pictures.  Today's REI and Office Depot visit yielded essentials that we can use in the bush as we prepare to live off the electric grid.  Some of my favorites include:
  • a new pair of chacos
  • a big sun hat for my little head (found in the children's department)
  • a solar charger for ipod and cell phone, which I am still figuring out how to use
  • I pod battery-powered speakers
  • a surge protector for when we do have access to electricity at the provincial house
  • an awesome little lantern that you hand crank to power
I had the good fortune to attend Denver City Park's Jazz in the Park session and meet a group of Cynthia's friends who she worked with at Easter Seals camp.  I was talking with this gal Laura, who explained that she wasn't at camp the last two years because she was in Zambia with the Peace Corps and just returned to Denver last month.  Destiny?  I think so.  Anyway, she is meeting me for breakfast on Friday to give us last minute advice and packing tips.  Cynthia has also used her computer expertise to help with our blog and even get me set up with Facebook.

In the meantime, Scott is holding up the fort in Yakima with getting our house up to snuff to be rented for the next 2 1/2 (or more?) years.  Some things to do still include painting the fence, repairing and re-staining the deck, re-leveling the patio, and re-painting the bathtub.  Looks like we'll have some busy days ahead of us before we leave.  Fun times.  Thank you Scott!

1 comment:

  1. Ever wanted to get free Instagram Followers?
    Did you know that you can get these ON AUTOPILOT AND ABSOLUTELY FOR FREE by registering on Add Me Fast?

    ReplyDelete