Sunday, September 23, 2012

World Wise Schools, Part 2

For a background on this project, check out our April 1 post.  A few weeks ago, we had the amazing privilege of having our corresponding teacher visit us in the village and meet the kids who have been corresponding with her students in the states.  Jane and Brad helped with a third letter writing session, and the Zambian students were very proud to practice their English.  Following are just a few examples of letters from both the American and Zambian students.  Names have been omitted but we tried to keep with the original grammar.


Letters from America:

Dear Zambian student,

I go to Washington Middle School.  My favorite subject in school is art class.  I also have a big family, but I have family in Mexico, Oregon, California and Washington.  We only get together like in special occasions.  My favorite animal is a horse because you get to ride on it and because you can teach him a lot of stuff to do.  My favorite food is pizza with soda.  I am in 7th grade and I love Mexican food too.  When I grow up I want to be a cosmetologist and a fashion designer.  A cosmetologist is someone that does your hair and they do pedicure.  During summer when we are out of school I am going swimming and I'am going to Seattle. 


Dear Zambian student,

How you been doing buddy?  How's life for you?  My life is wonderful.  Here at my school we are having a problem.  In the internet on facebook is a website of like chating with friends.  On line it's fun but can be dangerouse.  Some students go to juvanile detention or get suspended by the school.  Do you have a facebook?  You can put videos, pics, and add friends and chat (that's cool to do) And see videos on facebook.  I have an 800 dollar computer and have the internet.


Dear Zambian student,

I hope you are ok?  Well I will answer your questions.  I do soccer in my house.  What do you mean by what work do I do?  I n my house of out of my house!  Well my favorite subject in school is AVID and math.  I like math because I think it is easier and it is easier to understand.  I like AVID because it shows you more stuff for education.  I have a pet named Daycy she is a dog.  Do you have a pet?  I hope I get to know you more better.


Dear Zambian student,

I am very sorry you are not feeling well I really hope you feel better.  I will try to send clothes soon, but the teacher wont let me send money and a car is too big to send you.  I think I could send you food like tamales, taquitos, and other good food.  I will pray for you so your bad problem will go away.  I would like you to be strong no matter what happens you stay happy and do your best in everything.  I really want to know how you guys make your houses and what is civics class?  I'm happy that you are still my friend and I hope we could be best friends or in short word BF.


Letters from Zambia:

Dear American student,

Thank you.  for the letter.  In my district we have 72 school.  A question ask How much does it cost to make a house.  Here in Zambia the cost of house it belter 3 million kwacha per house 5000 kwacha = 1 dollar.  In my school the subjects which deal in grade 8.  its English, lunda mathematics religious education, civics, geography,  env. science, and history.  The question which you ask what class do you have over there?  Itsgrade 5 and grade 7.  Please listen to my question.  How many sisters you have and how many brothers you have.  Then I want to tell you in my class (8) my difficult subject is english.  I am not perform well in English but all the subject I am perform well.  Then I want to tell you I am 14 years old me I have three sisters and one brother.  Then my fruit which I like is mangoes, bananas, and oranges.  I want you to see me and I want see you.  Then thank you for letter I am happy with your letter.  So good by.


Dear American student,

Am happy to receive your letter here in zambia.  The famous people in zambia are many.  but I mention some.  This are HH Hakainde Hichilema, Mr. president michael chilupya sata, senior Chief Kanongesha traditional ceremony.  Am not herd King Tut.  Even you herd senior chief Kanongesha traditional ceremony.  I know a lot of thing like making a small house including cuttings of trees for field.
I know reading like you.  E. science, zambia language (Lunda), and many things.  I like to play football only (soccer) because our place we know soccer only.  I know 50 famous people. 
On 15th September 2012 I go to the traditional ceremony to watch many thing such as young girls dancing makishi (a person putting on masks), dances and many games.


Dear American student,

I will go to Mwinilunga High School when I pass grade 10.  My favorite subject in school is English because I am doing very well when I was in grade 8 because the teacher who is teaching english in grade 8 is esprening very well and I play football (soccer) very well and is my best sport and I enjoy playing it.
Some sports that I play very well but I do not like it is netball because I think that netball are for grils.  Thus why i am not like it.  When the school ends were going play sports and the sports teachers tell me that you must puted in the football club because am playing very well in school football team thus why am writing this latter to tell you that my friend love football and here in Zambia is good sport which every person loves it.  I like go to your country but the problem is money.  Thank you my friend we meet one another in writing letters.  GOD BLESS YOU and help you in anything that you are doing at school and at home.  I think when you open this letter you feel happy.


Dear American student,

How are you?  By this time back to me, I am fine too.  Im very happy to see this letter.  I'm a young boy I am 15 years old.  School.  I am in grade 8 my favorte subject is English or science to study non and living things.  When I grow up I want to be a doctor.  I have 3 brothers and 2 sister my sister is 10 year old and my brothers are marred.  In our family, we are 10.  My father is a farmer for this summer break I visit my familiy because this is my life.  I respect my parents because are creator me.  So my friend.  Do you know Jesus?  or do you goes to church?  Pleas my friend Iam obeging you. If you can not know God, please I want you beng with God.  John chaipter 1:1.  And I have mercy when my parrents are tired I can help during the something which is not is go to fatch water to cook otever in your class do you have mathematishan?  I want every day joy and my favorite football.  My friend good bye I wish you best and God Bless you to communicate with you and me.


Dear American student,

I hope and you are fine and I am als fine.  We are 7 in our family  3 boys and 4 girls.  Dot stop your eduction!  I think you have small family like me.  And my lavely game is football.  I born in poor family and I like eat bananas, orange, sweet banana.  The distance from our home to school is about 4 km.  That is very bad.  My freind her we are they is to much dry.  I like play with animals such as goats, sheeps and othe animals.  The subject that we learn her is marth, English goegraph, lunda, religious education, civics and history those subjects are that we learn in mwinilunga.  Thank you for your letter.


Dear American student,

I am guy a and I am 15 years old.  I'm pupil of upper basic school by this moment I'm grade 8, so I will complete my school by 2016.  The key word is this I want when I grow up to see you or meet with you in America or Mexico because I don't know country where you borne but love you so much.
My favorite people is American and food mabula.  I'm very happy to find you my penpal like you.  Things in Zambia at school are more let me tell you few their is sports such as aoccur race in class we have art and study post and things around us.  Here we don't have AVID.  I have 2 brothers are not educated and my mum dad are also not educated but they working like farmers.  My young brother is in grade 8 we are in same class.  Our side we don't have rich but me myself I want to complete school.  When I complete my school I want to being with you in America or Mexico to as a doctor.
Thank you my friend face book by this moment I don't have but I send to you any time through our teacher.  I greet all family in the name of Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment